TOOLKIT: HISTORY OF SPACE
SUBJECT: LANGUAGE ARTS / VISUAL ARTS
ARTIST: WINIFRED LUTZ
GRADE: recommended 6th-12th grade
Students understand the connection between humans and nature.
Students think about the consequences of humans on nature.
1. How does nature change over time?
2. How do manmade objects change over time?
3. How do humans impact nature? Is this impact positive or negative?
4. What did your school / house / neighborhood look like before there were buildings there? What will it look like in the future that same space is abandoned?
1. Garden Installation (on-going), (1993) by Winifred Lutz
What do you think existed in the Garden Installation space before Winifred Lutz created a garden? Write a story about the history of that space or choose another mysterious space in your community where something manmade intersects with nature.
PENNSYLVANIA CORE STANDARDS
-write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events
-know and use the elements and principles of each art form to create works in the arts and humanities
-demonstrate the ability to define objects, express emotions, illustrate an action or relate an experience through creation of works in the arts