The Mattress Factory acknowledges the positive impacts and the importance of creativity and exploration in everyday life. That is why at our Insider Membership Level, we offer ModCo. ModCo is the Modern and Contemporary Reciprocal Membership Program. This benefit gives Insider members and above a chance to explore art beyond Pittsburgh for free.
There are 11 contemporary art museums that are less than 5 hours from the Mattress Factory. Below, we have highlighted a few from each state. For more information click the Google map below to explore these drivable locations. To purchase a membership, check out our membership page.
- Institute of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia, PA – 5hrs, 305 miles – The ICA’s mission is to inform and inspire guests with a kunsthalle of art from all over the globe.
- Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland, Cleveland, OH – 2hrs 20 mins, 128 miles – Do you love the changing seasons? If so, you need to visit Cleveland’s Museum of Contemporary Arts. This museum changes their exhibits 3 times a year to give a fresh experience to all visitors. A place you can visit many times and never get sick of.
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY – 3hrs 25 mins, 223 Miles – A collection of modern and contemporary that keeps evolving. This Art Gallery strives to enrich the lives of its guests by not only its art but also the performances and programs it offers.
- Cranbrook Art Museum, Bloomfield Hills, MI – 4hrs 48 mins, 306 Miles – This museum provokes new ideas about art and creativity by its relevant pieces in art, architecture, and design.
- The Phillips Collection, Washington, DC – 4hrs 40 mins, 241 miles – This institution is home to modern and contemporary, but there’s a twist! The Philips Collections is not only visually appealing but also experimental and hands-on.
- The Contemporary, Baltimore, MD – 4hrs 25 mins, 276 miles – As a non-collecting art museum, this institution strives to provide excellent experiences based on three principals: artists matter, collaboration is key, and the audience is everywhere.